We sell dog treats with locally sourced ingredients

Halloween Safety Tips for Dog Owners

According to AKC & Dr. Jerry Klein, CVO

"Many of the food and treats we enjoy on Halloween are toxic to dogs, and some can be deadly. Unlike cats, who tend to be picky eaters, many dogs will eat anything – including the wrapper in which the treat is stored. The treats below are especially dangerous to your pets, so be sure to keep them out of reach." 


Check out the culprits below: 

  • Chocolate  Chocolate consumption in dogs is a top ingestion problem at Halloween. Chocolate contains Theobromine, which can be harmful and sometimes fatal to your dog. Baking chocolate is exceptionally high in this chemical. The general rule of thumb is the darker the chocolate, the more danger it poses. If your pet consumes chocolate, contact your veterinarian,a veterinary emergency center or a pet poison helpline immediately. Quick treatment can minimize the danger to your dog. If your dog also ate candy wrappers or bags, it may present the additional problem of intestinal blockage. So, be sure to let your veterinarian know what was consumed.
  • Candies and Gum – The biggest concern with candy is the risk of the ingredient xylitol. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol commonly used as an artificial sweetener. Xylitol is toxic to pets. This ingredient is often used in sugar-free items but has been showing up in more and more foods every day even when they are NOT labeled as sugar-free. Most often, xylitol is found in sugar-free gum, sugar-free candy, and sugar-free baked goods. It is sometimes found in toothpaste and peanut butter as well.
  • Hard Candies – Hard candy can also present a problem for dogs. Large quantities of hard candies and gum can clump up in the stomach and cause a risk of obstruction.
  • Raisins – Some Halloween treat-givers often choose to pass out small boxes of raisins. This option is great for children, but raisins and grapes are dangerous to dogs and can cause renal failure. Be sure that you keep raisins out of your dog’s reach at all times. If your dog consumes raisins, please call your veterinarian or veterinary emergency center immediately. Prompt action can be helpful in reducing the risk to your pet.
  • Candy Wrappers – Toxicity with candy is not the only concern, the wrappers can also be an issue, as they can become lodged in your pet’s throat or intestinal tract, requiring surgery to remove. Wrappers that are foil or cellophane have the potential to result in gastrointestinal irritation.

If you’d like to give your dog a special treat this Halloween, consider placing an order from us ;) WE SHIP FAST ! 

Keep your pup safe this Halloween & check out AKC website for more details --->https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/vets-corner/halloween-safety-tips-for-dog-owners/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=20211012_nibble_health&utm_content=hlth_p1

Also check out Dr. Jerry Klein, CVO video on the AKC website 



Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.